Opening for a Math Instructor
Job Title: Math Instructor
Section/Unit: Gateway Youth Center/Education Support Services
Posting: Belize City
Work Base: Gateway Youth Center, Belize City
Reporting Relationship: Youth Center Coordinator
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree in Education, math or highly relevant field.
Salary: Payscale 16
General Working Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8:00am -12:00 noon and 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Fridays: 8:00am – 12:00 noon and 1:00pm – 4:30pm
The Math Instructor will provide student centered academic support and guidance to students in order to improve their math skills computation and problem solving skills.
- Develop and administer individual assessment test to identify student skills level in reading and math
- Teach participants/students improve their competencies in math based on individual knowledge and skills level
- Teach participants basic math skills and/or improve competency in subject area based on individual knowledge and skills level
- Develop incentives to encourage participation and reward student progress
- Use interactive and participatory methods to engage students.
- Use a variety of instructional techniques and literacy materials; consistent with the needs and capabilities of the individual student.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required
- Maintain good classroom management.
- Make provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Assess the student progress, on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Liaise with student’s classroom teacher in order to keep abreast of child’s progress in class/ school.
- Attend required meetings and trainings
- Sound knowledge of multiple modalities and strategies for teaching reading
- Experience in providing one-on-one individualized student academic assistance
At least four (4) years working experience teaching in upper primary or secondary level; and experience working with adolescents or youths in a formal or informal groups or institution.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds
- Practical problem solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives
- Skills in group facilitation
- Organized, motivated and able to work independently
- Can develop clear plans and goals as well as tracking mechanisms to pinpoint progress
- Computer literate
- Ability and commitment to work evenings and weekends as required
- Team player
APPLICATIONS CAN BE OBTAINED AT THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION OR BY CALLING 227-0840